Monday, September 11, 2006

Roger that.


1993, Class 3.
Wimbledon Final. Jim 'the best forehand ever seen' Courier 'Vs' Pete 'pistol' Sampras.
but the main match was being played in the dimly lit drawing room of my home.
Me 'Vs' 5 other much elder people, all going down on me whenever the pistol fired. the target both places was being sent into a subdued mode. the match ened in hoorahs for many, but there were some for whom it had become one the worst moments of their short lives.

Class 2 might be too early for someone to have a idol, but for me Jim Courier was the superman. The grunt was like what a roar might be for the members of the pride. I too dreamt of being able to emulate the shot of his right hand, played to the fore. I too dreamt of flowing across the backline, looking to pounce upon any hand thrown grenade and return it like a missile, a homing one that would leave the opponent's racket counterproductive. That was the time when I made Jim the totem of what i thought would be my future endeavors.

but alas, my idol was too human.

13 years later....., 4th year.
Haven't seen many matches of late, but then TV isn't the only means of knowing stuff and getting high. it seems the child, the little kid, the Zealot in me has seen the sun again.

Roger 'can't pin-point, too many to list' Federer the reincarnation of the demi-God in my mind. the silent killer, the terminator of the better, as he is the best.....ever.
9 grand slams, 3 this year, 6 consecutive Grand slam finals, three years World no. 1 (4th on the way). All of this is lot less than what 'my Hero' is going to achieve.
I might have woken up from my dream of being one of them, but the passion stays. and it'll stay as long as Roger blasts his shotguns.....no silencers throughout the tour. They say one should reach the sky, but what do you do when you've done that?
I'm happy today.
Roger is 25 and he is 9. Pete was 31 when he was 14. So Fedex has an advantage of 6 years to be 5 more. Who said Pete's record was unbeatable? They all turned in the graves, bed, chairs and fell rite on their face.

Roger 'Fucking too good' Federer.

Delivering whatever, wherever.

1 comment:

Ankoor Das said...

well, god always has the devil to beat :)